Thursday, April 01, 2010

Canon New F-1

This is part of my ongoing Canon New F-1 usage notes.

Battery:  It's used to power the meter and the shutter.  Though some shutter speed is governed mechanically, whatever that means, but if you were to leave an underpowered battery there, the mechanical shutter won't work.  You have to actually take out the 6V battery from the chamber.  This is actually documented on some online manual.  Not really a surprise.

Even if you attach a fully powered, that's a green light battery power checked AE Motor Drive FN, but if the camera battery 6V is low, the shutter would get very iffy and the meter would go haywire--mainly if turned to Light metering mode, the needle would keep going up or to the right if set at aperture priority as if there are plenty of bright light, giving a reading that's inconsistent with Normal and Hold.  That's my experience.  My 6V battery went low in the middle of a shoot out--metering went haywire and shutter wouldn't fire, so I had to rewind the film back to its cartridge in order to remove the motor drive and change the battery inside the body.  Well that's how the Canon F-1 rolls.  So I think the motor drive, the battery there, is really for winding and rewinding the film, it has nothing to do with the meter and the shutter on the camera.  It's just a guess on my part.

Still, I have no idea what the camera is officially called.  Is there really a Canon F-1N or Canon F-1n at all?  I know there was this original Canon F-1 but I am just not sure anymore if the Canon F-1N or Canon F-1n is the same as Canon New F-1.

2 comments:

  1. Good to know you are still battling with your new toy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ordered a foam package to redo the light seal and mirror dampening foam myself. So it would be fun. I am thinking of getting another FD lens to complement the system. 24mm, 28mm, 35mm or 85mm or all of them. The FD lenses are all orphaned now.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....