Friday, April 16, 2010

Light Seal Replacement for Canon New F-1

Though the Canon New F-1 (damn Canon for their stupid naming, couldn't they think after a few years, everything called New is not new anymore) is my latest addition to my ever growing meager camera collection,  I think I just got to know it better than the rest of the members.  I got to see its more naked body more intimately.  I just did a light seal replacement for it.  So it's like brand new now (of course not).  There is not a lot of seal to remove and replace.  One on the hinge, one in the mirror box, and two thin ones running along the camera body where the film door closes onto the body.  I used some 75% rubbing alcohol to remove the dead gummy foam and then replaced them with something I ordered on eBay.  These are cutups specifically made for the Canon New F-1.  So there is no measuring and  minimal cutting.  Overall the instruction is OKAY but it could be better.  But it's really not that complicated.  The foam on the mirror box used to be just barely there now it's pretty well dampened.  So overall I am pretty happy with this $10 purchase.  The price seems a bit high for the little material in the envelop but it works well and it's just the price of a decent lunch, plus the vendor is fast and responsive, so in the end I can't really complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....