Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A Trip To Adorama

Just when I was about to leave work yesterday, I got an email from Adorama telling me that my prints were ready for pickup.

The weather was surly with depressing rain and spring chill. I saved some $5 and probably a few days when I chose to pick up the prints myself on 18th street between 5th and 6th Avenue where the store is located. I placed the order the night before after 10PM, so the turn around was impressive. I had some prior experience with Adorama and they were quite good, I didn't feel like I got ripped off or anything.

The prints came out all right, I picked the metallic paper kind of material and I think they are supposed to be the best, I can't be sure but they do cost more than the regular paper. Prints and JPEGs on monitor are different animals. I like the JPEGs on monitor better especially looking hrough my HP 2207. Oh well. I asked one of the staff if they still process film or slide, the answer was no, not unexpected.

I got the chance to play with some higher end DSLRs when I was there, the D300 with the 18~200 and the Canon 5D with the 24~105. Both are well-built even I always read from forums that the 5D is not professionally built but I say it's still very good, probably better than my Nikon D70. The D300 has the edge in terms of user experience, a large LCD monitor, quick response, bright view finder, snappy focusing and a zillion AF focusing little points. The 5D is not bad but just not as good. But then here is the big "BUT," in terms of absolute out of the camera JPEGs, the 5D really rules, judging from my second hand experience looking through JPEGs comparison between the two. I can argue ad nauseam which one is better, or some people can, but the point is it all depends on what is important to you.

2 comments:

  1. It had crossed my mind selling my 5D coz' I've been a lil' out of hand purchasing cameras - the Canon system and the compacts. But when I look back at the images, boy, I just can't give up the full-frame sensor which is so capable in details and low-noise characteristics, let alone the already outstanding dynamic range. Although price has been dropping like waterfall for either a new unit or a used one, I'm hanging on to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 5D, together with a whole bunch of Canon gears are offering instant rebate. The 5D is $300, cold hard cash. That only stokes the rumor that a 5D successor is imminent as imminent can ever be.

    In terms of absolute image quality the oldish 5D can still wipe the floor with the Nikon's newest D3's even taken as a whole D3 is a much better camera.

    Canon is milking the 5D market segment and Nikon has no answer to that, not yet.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....