Thursday, May 22, 2008

NYPL Eminent Domain Exhibition

I just went to have a quick look after work. I don't think I spent more than 15 minutes there. I have to go back again.

They look like snapshots but taken as a group, they become very meaningful. I like them especially the series taken in Chinatown by Thomas Holton. They are very documentary looking because they are. The project is not overtly poignant, or being condescending or melodramatic about its subject which is a family with young children living in Chinatown.

The online exhibition is here. I don't know if it's a permalink or not. Admission is free and donations are welcome.

2 comments:

  1. You can do better, buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technically most people can pictures like those. The big difference is you really have to know your subjects well, the guy spent years documenting his subjects, he wasn't doing any hit and run kind of pictures. It's I think it's similar to anthropology. The pictures are empathetic and intimate.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....