Monday, May 26, 2008

Banal Suburban Life Continues

Yesterday we went to the Ikea on Long Island. We haven't been to the store for quite some time and I wanted to get some picture frames to hang some of my enlargements. If I don't like my own pictures who would? But before I could tell you that story I have to tell you this story.

We decided to have an early dinner before we went to Ikea or other stores. We wanted to check out Macaroni Cheese on Long Island again but when we got there the place got a sign put at the door saying the place was closed for business forever. So we walked to the nearby Chili's instead. That was our first Chili's experience. We waited for about 10 minutes before we got seated. Me and Harry were just sitting at one of those benches outside to wait for our turn, shooting the breeze, teasing each other and talking about the nuanced plot points of The Iron Man. He insists that he doesn't like Pepper even she is a good guy. The food wasn't bad but wasn't exceptional (how could that be?). Price wise, I think it was pretty reasonable and definitely cheaper than Outback, though I do think Outback has better food overall. In the end, we paid $60 tax and tips included for the five of us.

After we were done eating, it was around 8PM already, and the nearby mall was closed so we went to Ikea for real as it closes at 10PM every day. We hit the lower check out floor right away instead of just walking aimlessly around, I picked up a few frames for my 8x10 and 11x14 enlargements and a reading lamp along the way. The frames as I later found out were not cheap at all, around $15 each. Oh well. I needed those to hang the pictures. As we proceeded to the check out area, I noticed that they were all self service checkout now. I could be wrong but I didn't see one check out line that was manned by a real person. And now they charge 50 cents for a shopping bag. So I let Mr. Harry use the laser gun to scan the barcodes and of course he was thrilled to use anything that is laser, and ended up paying and grabbing everything myself.

The following day, I went to Home Depot and there were those self servicing checkouts again. Though Home Depot has those for quite some time already.

The cashier kind of job is fast disappearing.

Regular gas price over the weekend was more than $4 a gallon. And crude oil is over $130 a barrel. A lemon costs $0.99 at Walbaums.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:27 PM

    I was told that the price will jet up to $6 a gallon soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess we will find out pretty soon. I used to spend like $20~25 for 15 gallons, now it's over $60.

    Glad I don't drive to work.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....