Thursday, May 22, 2008

Sichuan After Shock in Flushing

Holy cow, Flushing is in the news. Although not exactly like in New York Times as I have come to conclude that basically New York Times don't care about Chinese in New York City.

I have been living under a rock and I really didn't know there had been some altercation which led to councilman John Liu's intervention, and police arrest, happening in downtown Flushing right next to the public library where Kissena Avenue and Main Street intersects. The public library was nearly shut down because of the commotions and the library security officials had to secure the premise for its patrons. Wow, that's good news, because those security guards were finally doing their jobs instead of just shooting the breeze and harassing patrons who falls asleep at the desk or people merely waiting near the foyer so on and so forth. I digressed.

I just found out days later via ESWN that indeed the aftershock in Sichuan is finally hitting downtown Flushing, an immigrant enclave in Queens county that has nothing to do with Sex and the City. Falung Gong was doing its usual sidewalk show, probably with the recent quake in Sichaun thrown in to update their political and human rights agenda and whatnot. Usually most people really don't give a flying hoopla to their sidewalk propaganda show. Until allegedly three or four days ago when some Chinese people took offense and started to take matters in their own hand, arguing that during this particular juncture, that China is ravaged by a category 8 or 7.9 or 7.8 quake, some 50,000 people died and millions are homeless, FLG has the nerve to hold protest s against the Chinese Communist Party. Now, I am no fan of FLG nor CCP. And I have seen FLG's perennial complaints and the slogan "Heaven Destroys CCP" long before the quake. So what the heck is the problem? You can't beat up people just because you don't agree with you? Unless it's your 7 year old kid brother. This is really the last thing I want to see in Flushing or actually anywhere else. Live and let live people.

Go home, go home eat rice.

7 comments:

  1. OK, I will come and see what happen in Flushing in Aug 2008, well prepare your basement

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can say that again, man. Live and let live; love and let love; eat and let eat; so on and so forth.

    Besides, you guys are in the States - a superpower that prides itself for democracy and exporting democracy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wp2007, you can camp out in downtown Flushing.

    ss: for some Chinese folks here, there is no difference say living here and in China, they got to watch the same TV and read the same newspapers and hence their seemingly unwavering support of the CCP. They thought they still live in China or something. I mean I really don't like FLG that much. But then you don't have to grab their banners and seemingly causing some bodily harm. I wasn't there and wasn't an eye witness. But they have been saying "Heaven Destroys CCP" long long time ago before the quake, and I don't know but don't think they are cheering for the earthquake. They might have argued and laid the blame on the CCP for lack of preparation or warning or whatever before the quake. Anyway, I don't like to see violence happening in my neighborhood. This is New York, the last time I checked, there is still freedom of speech.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:52 PM

    I learne and so knew something about FLG since 1992~1995. Then I quit. Why? It really scared people and easy being lost their mind but only following.

    People like them already became trouble maker here in New York. I felt so bad and so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't cause any violence in your basement, how can you treat you friend like that, if you come to visit me, I will let you stay in my 751 sq ft apartment for free, it's gauranteed

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just as well you didn't realise what happened until it was over. You wouldn't have been able to do anything for either side even if you wanted to, and the potential social expectation that you need to pull ranks and do something because it's happening in your own backyard is frankly something you don't need.

    Actually there was a pro-China/pro-torch relay protest (attended by 1000 to 3000 mainland Chinese people, depending on who you talk to) right here in Dublin about a month or so ago, apparently as a result of a Government Minister calling Tibet a "country" in his speech. I only learnt about it through my Taiwanese friend a few days afterwards. My parents didn't know anything about it at all. There was apparently a media black-out in the Irish press about the street protests (although the Chinese ambassador's objection itself was reported in detail). Although I don't agree with any deliberate media blackout, but I was actually relieved that the protest itself didn't garner that much publicity, as I personally don't want the entire Chinese community here to be represented by the views of those people alone.

    Anyway, on a lighter note, heard that you guys are having the Memorial Day weekend, have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am pretty apolitical. My observation is Chinese people are getting more vocal and especially when it comes to patriotic flag waving kind of activities. I am the silent minority, I feel more comfortable living a quiet life here. I can't be bothered. I do exercise my right as an American citizen, I pay my taxes, I vote and I want to be left alone.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....