Saturday, February 03, 2007

New York Fashion Week Feb 2-9

Fashion Week is underway. I should check out Bryant Park more often if not because of the shivering cold (and the job that actually pays me and keeping me busy even during lunch hour). I saw them building out the space about a couple of weeks ago, I was just thinking how come The Pond was gone and in its place some auto show from Mercedes? I didn't know Mercedes took the place of Olympus to be the Fashion Week sponsor.

Talking about fashion (do I need a reason to justify what I write? It's my own god damn online diary, I write whatever I so please bottomline), I read from the WSJ paper edition that designers of mens fashion are actually turning to more average looking models to sell their clothes. Buff, metrosexual, and waif looking guys are shown the door. It's the average looking dude that get the job these days. Since it appears on the Journal, so it must have a business angle. The rationale of using average looking guy is men, as opposed to women, are actually doing the shopping these days.

Here is an excerpts from the Wall Street Journal article "You should Be So 'Average'" by Ray A. Smith on Friday, February 2, 2007.
Last year, 75% of the men bought their own clothes, compared with 52% in 1995, according to Marshal Cohen ... At middle-of-the-road J.C. Penney, men now make 70% of the purchases of men's clothes, a reversal from about five years ago when women made 70% of the purchases.
That means nowadays the model can make or break a buying decision for male shoppers.

And one of those average looking guy is called Terron Wood, a 6-foot-2, 170-pound model who appears for Dolce & Gabbana. Apparently the fashion industry has a very very different definition of average from you and me.

Official Fashion Week site here.
No picture man, I am not a paid subscriber of the WSJ, so no picture here. If you want to see what Mr Wood looks like, do a search and find out what the fashion world means by average or regular....Well we all need the fashion industry to remind us how ugly we all are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....