Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Jeans therapy

I just had my jeans therapy at Dave's New York today... I always have a weakness for jeans.
When I was 22 I thought I was probably too old to wear jeans. And I started to wear khakis which I thought was a step-up. What did I know?
I still wear jeans but now I think khakis are boring especially those style favored by IT people in the 80s, worn with a French blue shirt. I never got into that premium jeans thing. Probably I am too old for those over designed and if not over priced jeans, oh yeah, things are always overpriced if you are not willing to pay the price. I simply don't get them. For years, I've just bought unwashed 501s and worn them to death. I bought the irregular ones from outlets and the regular ones from Canal Jeans before Bloomingdale's took their space on Broadway in lower Manhattan. Now I shop at Dave's New York on 6th Avenue if I need a jeans fix. Good thing is they just carry basic stuff just the kind that I would actually buy and wear. They carry unwashed 501s for $30 each which I think is of incredible value. The challenge is you actually have to wear them to age them to make them yours. I am old school I don't like those overly pre-washed and pre-whiskered jeans. Sometimes I do like things that are authentic and genuine. I like the good old Wrangler #13MWZ jeans but I just look terrible in them. And I can't find any Lee jeans I used to see when I was a child, those with cross-tabbed back pockets and with a very nice shade of blue. I just simply can't find them and the regular Lee jeans that one can find are just hideous, the wash is terrible to say the least and the back pocket is just single tabbed instead of the original crosstab. I believe Levi's, Wrangler and Lee all have their "premium" lines or some presumably more fashion forward lines that only got sold in Europe or something, but in my mind their best models are always the true originals, but that's just me.

(PS: I am not crazy enough to buy vintage jeans)

Dave's New York

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....