Tuesday, August 25, 2009

My Fifteen Movies

Due to a severe lack of talent and imagination and general indolence, I am going to write my own 15 movies kind of post. As I am writing it, more like dragging my feet on it, I really am not sure if there are 15 of them. You know it takes much effort to come up with a list, let alone a list of 15 items. Here they are, not in any particular order.

I managed to sit through this master piece of random violence. It was a 90-minute relentless assault on humanity. After the movie, I wasn't the same sweet innocent person I was before. At the end of the movie, nothing redeems itself. People just die and the killer moves on. Shocking. Just like in the real world. I haven't watched it again ever since I met the movie in one rainy evening in September 1990. To me, actor Michael Rooker is forever Henry.

Ai no corrida (In the realm of the senses, 感官世界 1976)
Disturbing. If you want to be disturbed, check it out and watch it back to back with Henry: The Portrait of a Serial Killer. Your life will be destroyed.

When compared to Henry, The Silence Of The Lambs seems like a walk in the park. It is a good thriller, both the book and the movie adaptiation, they should have stopped making yet another sequel or prequel after that.

I have a weakness for arty farty movies. The book is pretty good, I think I read it a few times. It has certain appeals especially when you are a arty farty college student. All men want to be Tomas, to a certain extent, smart, righteous, and above all, a chick magnet. Daniel Day-Lewis is a lean mean sex machine.

La Femme Nikita (1990)
Another silly film by Luc Bresson. The gun is big and sexy. And She is holding it in her hand. I saw it in Angelica on Houston. Another pretentious move trying to be arty farty.

無能情聖戲嬌娃
I never saw this fascinating sounding movie. But the movie title intrigues me. The one who came up with the title was pure evil genius.

望鄉 (Sandakan No. 8, 1974)
I don't remember the story, but watching Japanese movies, to a large extent, is about experiencing the sensibility. The title is by itself enthralling already. You don't even have to see the movie.
I thought there would be nude scenes every other minute. Alas, there weren't and I was hugely disappointed.

Caligola (1979)
I never really saw the whole movie. I shamelessly fast forward, pause, and rewind through the entire DVD. The movie is pretty disturbing and hard to watch.

What can I say? I was young and innocent and I fell prey to Steven Spielberg's tear jerking exploit and Hollywood's propaganda machine. But I think the movie was pretty good. A friend of mine says ET means the extra testicle. It actually rolls off the tongue easier. Try it.

Same as above. I was at awe and thoroughly entertained. I don't think I could ever get that feeling back.

Orson Welles' seminal work. I saw the movie just so I can say I've seen this fine movie about rosebud.

Does Wong Kar Wai ever wake up in the middle of the night, drowned in his own sweat, and say, "'I am such a fraud.'"? I think this is one of his better works. He tried so hard to tell a story of two persons trying to live together without killing each other.

If French cinema was ever the New Wave, then The 400 Blows was the crest of that wave. It finally hit me in 2008 when I saw it on DVD. It doesn't blow at all. The movie is mesmerizing.

獨臂刀 (1967)
Even you lose your arm, you can still fight like a man and kill them all. That's the message. I found Mandarin enormously entertaining and fun. The word "know" or "知道" sounded like "pig trough" to my young and playvil ear.

9 comments:

  1. lol. maybe i should try watching #1 & 2 together on your list. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. how about those DVD, your own private collections, under your bed ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice selection of films.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1minutefilmreview:
    What can I say? I have impeccable taste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oi, lay off WKW! Although I very much agree that Happy Together is a masterpiece, that is only one of his many great films. So the guy was off form in a couple of movies, that does NOT mean he is a fraud.

    There. Rant over. Proceed with your normal scheduling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unfortunately I never got the chance to see Happy Together on big screen.

    I think every artist at some point would think of himself as a fraud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me neither unfortunately. Still the waterfall scenes with the music, and the magical off-coloured lighting used in the flashbacks.. I would have really loved to have experienced the movie in a proper cinema.

    p.s. Meant to have inserted the word "please" at the beginning of my last sentence in my last rather impertinent comment. Sorry for the rant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want please sugar coated ....

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....