Monday, June 07, 2010

Week in Review

The French Open is over.

I am glad to see some new faces in the Women's final.  My DVR didn't do its job, it's extremely temperamental so I didn't get to see the Women's final.  Before the match my money was really on Samather Stosur, the Australian.  But what do I know?  I am happy Francesca Schiavone took home the grand prize.

On the men's side, Nadal made a very convincing comeback, if one had any doubt on Nadal's physical and mental readiness before the tournament, they should all be gone by the time he steamrolled Soderling in a three set victory.  Soderling played an uninspiring match.  He looked leaden, deflated and just didn't have the fighting spirit to match Nadal's speed and tenacity.  The end result wasn't unexpected but I was a bit shocked how unmotivated Soderling seemed.  Soderling is a legi player but somehow every time when he reaches the final, he looks all exhausted and ready to throw in the towel as if he has given all he has on the road to the final and got nothing left.

Wimbledon is in the offing and since the French Open final ended sooner than anticipated, thanks to Nadal, they were showing last year's Wimbledon men's final on TV.  Boy was it a match or what?  Andy Roddick in the end lost but he did show he could play in the big league against Roger Federer.  Over the years, I think Roddick shows both humility and maturity.  He stays more focused and cut down a lot of trash talks on and off the court.  I would have thought Brooklyn Decker might have weakened his legs but he seems to be fitter than ever, at least from what I could see last year.  So I hope the guy can win one more Grand Slam title.  Anyway, at least he has the one and only Brooklyn Decker so I really don't worry about him.  Another Andy, Andy Murray still has a lot to prove to himself and his fellow Englishmen to win his first Grand Slam.  Too much pressure does the guy no good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....