Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Random Musing: Little Reunion

This my musing on Little Reunion. There are many like it but this one is mine.

This can be called Memoir Of A Writer As The Last Chinese Aristocrat. But of course, the name Little Reunion is so much better. In the end, there is no reunion not even a little one. Irony is still alive and so well preserved in Chang's work. This is a no-holds-barred autobiography of her life from childhood to her late twenties. And I have to say this is the bomb. And I can't help but think how could Ang Lee be so prescient when he directed Si Jie which was based on Chang's same name short story, with added explicit sex scenes that couldn't be found in the original work? Apparently Lee was way ahead of us, seeing what we couldn't see in Chang. My hunch of all the explicit sex scenes in both Chang and Lee's works are a way of a clear fuck-you and liberation arising from the protagonist's indignation toward her life and time in general. And to a certain extent, humans are just animals without furs.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:39 PM

    I must be the only Chinese person who hasn't read any of her books. Super lame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree. ha ha. But I think you are still cool. I am super lame truth be well. But I figure what the heck, I just need to read it. And nobody can stop me.

    I don't know about other people, but the hardest part is always about the family described in her book. It's just too big and complicated, all those relationships. Man I have a headache already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mine copy arrived for almost 1 week(?) now... and i haven't even started reading yet... sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  4. **errata**
    my copy/mine... >.< sleep deprivation

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's meant to be read. But it looks good on the shelf too with the big pink peony cover. So take your time.

    Ha ha, I am good at reading typos and sort. So don't worry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that cover is really irritating though... i don't like it.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....