Friday, March 20, 2009

In Brogues

I bought the DVD on sales when Circuit City went belly up. Seeing Collin Farrel in it doesn't give me a lot of confidence, but at the same time, Ralph Fiennes seems to be able to put in a good performance no matter what. To my surprise, I was able to enjoy this movie on my 22" 1680x1050 LCD down in my basement.

<Spoiler Alert>
Ken, played by the affable Brendan Gless, and Ray, played by bad boy Collin Farrel, are a couple of hit men who work for Harry, a mildly psychotic maniac deliciously played by the always reliable Ralph Fiennes. Ken was put into a conundrum as he was asked by Harry to put away Ray after he accidentally killed a boy on the job. Of course, life has its irony and Harry should have known better. Shit happens, and it can certainly happen on a hit. Harry is a man of honor, the peculiar kind, and expects the same from his men. He practices what he preaches and adheres to his own code of conduct right to the very end.
</Spoiler Alert>

I think one of the problems about the movie is I don't even remember it playing in the theater. I don't know how it does in the box office but I certainly think it's a movie that can present a challenge to the marketing department. It's not a big budget action movie, it's not a comedy per se, it's not a teenage horror movie. Collin Farrel and Ralph Fiennes aren't any stranger to the North American audience but they aren't movie stars that can open any movie. And director Martin McDonagh is not an household name at all.

As an aside, I think Duplicity might have some trouble in the marketing department. Is it a romantic comedy where Ms. Roberts showcases her infectious laughters? Or is it an action movie where Owens shows off his phyical prowess? The movie poster seems to suggest neither. It's not like I can pigeonhole the movie in five seconds. But the only review I read today from the Times is overwhelmingly positive; it's a high gloss smart romantic comedy set in contemporary corporate world. I guess I have to see it to believe it. Roberts and Owens can be good. It's interesting to see how Roberts does in a movie leading role again after spending the past few years playing supporting roles on screen when she was too busy being a wife and a mother in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....