Thursday, December 11, 2008

The White Tiger

Can you keep a white tiger in a rooster coop? No. Not according to first time author Aravind Adiga, who won the 2008 Booker Prize award with his debut novel The White Tiger.

The story is about one man's revolution against his world, as told through a series of letters written within a week, addressed from Balram Halwai, the protagonist, the once poor honest country-mouse, the chauffeur, the social entrepreneur and ultimately the rich business entrepreneur, to the Chinese Premier, Wen Jiabao who is embarking on a business trip to visit India. Adiga, in searing indignation and raging dark humor, through the narrative of Balram, exploits and magnifies all the ills he finds in present day India. In the end, one is left without a choice but to sympathize and empathize with Balram even when he does the unthinkable; a revolution is not a dinner party as Mao once eloquently put it and somebody has to sacrifice, and when that sacrifice happens it's better him than me or so must Balram thinks.

Some have criticized his characters are caricatures of the Indian society and his lack of in-depth understanding of India renders his social commentary shallow and superficial. But in his defense, I don't think this is meant to be an account of true events and I actually appreciate the heightened reality of his characters and its feverish kaleidoscopic characterization of India, they go well with the author's pizazz and his wry sense of humor.

It is entertainment with some thought-provoking message. What more can you ask for?

Further readings from real reviews from both sides of the Atlantic.

4 comments:

  1. OMG you finished The White Tiger already??

    What a great book review, and I saw you've written very detailed film review posts as well, but I'd have to come back to read those later as am heading to ice-skating in a mo... but just want to say, I'm blown away man, blown away!!

    And yes, agree with Hongkie there above, you're SO NOT a lame blogger :) So stop fishing for compliments already :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I have been really trying too hard to get compliments and affirmations, in a passive aggressive way perhaps. The way I write I just can't help myself. I better work on my "style" of writing. I know I don't write good enough. And I appreciate you being so kind and seem genuinely enthusiastic about my so called reviews ... I am happy but at the same time very embarrassed.

    Oh, about the film review. I would like to write it better but I just failed pretty badly. It's more a plot summary than a review. So it's really no good. I have to lot to work on. I don't know what possessed me, I just feel like to write something about the film. (Gee I hate my hp keyboard, the keys sometimes stuck, or at least the space bar, I need my spacing right hp. Get you keyboard right.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey you know I was kidding right about the "fishing for compliments" part? Anyway if anything I'm far guiltier than you on said crime :P

    But seriously I was amazed that you wrote such decent reviews (or actually I know I really should NOT be amazed). I was half-expecting that your White Tiger review was a cut and paste job from NYT and such like, and then of course to my shame I realised you haven't and it was your genuine opinion. So all I can say, again, is WOW!!

    I can't judge on the film review at all as I've never even heard of that movie and don't think it'd likely be shown in Ireland EVER. I'd have to get it from Yesasia or some such but catching up on Asian movies is sooooo low on my priority list right now. However I should remember to ask my cousins about renting it if and when I go visit them in summer 09 (technically still next year!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha-ha, that's was OKAY, I think I am guilty as charged. It's just my nature being whatever that I am.

    I read the NYT reviews. And I am always amazed at how well those professional reviewers write. Of course mine aren't no comparison to theirs. And that's the awful truth. Though I always aspire to write just a tiny little better.

    Any how, I really tried not to do any copy and paste or plagiarizing others. It's hard sometimes you like certain sentences and word plays and you try to work them into your own writings like any good but lessor students would. Normally and I can't say with absolute certainty, I got too much pride to just simply lift entire sentences from others. Even in college, yes I did go to college even I don't write like one, sad, I tried to re-write as much as possible from reference material but I guess I probably do and did have some occasional lapse of judgments--I'm covering my behind now. I will be draping in shame and embarrassment if you actually found something I lifted from others ....

    You know, I pretty much read the book and write this review, knowing full well the only one audience will be you. So here for you. And I am glad you enjoy it, I am really flattered. Ha ha.

    The movie got mixed reviews from folks in HK. But it does so well in Taiwan's box office it's become a national event. I got through the entire movie by reading the Mandarin subtitles, Mandarin dialogs are hit and miss, but the Taiwanese dialogs are a total miss.

    You going to HK summer 2009? We might go too, a big might, but it's really a dread because of the heat, I much prefer to go between now and March but it's also about the kids and everybody's schedule.

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....