Tuesday, December 02, 2008

News From The Far Side III

李嘉欣一邊與亨亨手拖手,一邊手蹺覑媽媽,笑容滿臉離開福臨門。(攝影﹕黃梓烜 劉一立 劉永銳)
photo and Chinese caption from mingpaonews.com

My delusions of grandeur are working in full throttle. I feel like I am the most influential blogger around. Finally it's "手拖手," a much more palatable description. I can hold my food down in the stomach without throwing up, my keyboard is finally safe. But in balance or while dropping the cringe-inducing "ten fingers entwined tight," the caption writer decided to reduce and belittle, in my mind, the guy to a "亨亨." Maybe it's a new way to be affectionate to the rich and famous, but I am old school I think in most cases it's more of a put down, treating him like a baby or an imbecile buffoon as if he can't comprehend any adult speak. Maybe that just suits him well.

Part I, and II.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:31 AM

    Hong Kong has changed a lot these days. Tong ying lin is called tong tong (sugar sugar). I also address my colleagues in a similar way in the office.

    Ying Ying

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ying ying,

    Yeah, it depends on the tone, the atmosphere, a myriad of other factors but I do think in a lot of cases it's a put down. When used among friends it's still a put down but more in a horsing around way. You won't use in any formal way especially to someone who is respectable and honorable. That's my thought. Anyway it's entertainment news so I guess the bottomline is much lower and nobody should take it too seriously.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....