Thursday, December 23, 2010

My Blueberry Nights

If you like a director you can always find some reason or excuse to like him. But I think Wong Kar-wai is really pushing it.

My Blueberry Nights is another endless tribute of Wong Kar-wai to himself both thematically and aesthetically. Except this time the language is in English and the setting is in America. I feel like the movie is a total mashup of what he has already done tirelessly since the 80s. The movie is contrived and stale. Worse, Jude Law doesn't really make it any better. So I got tired of it. When you make a successful movie and you have said something already, do you still keep up the same theme, telling the same story ad nauseam? I guess you can at least that's what Wong has been doing for a long long time, perhaps too long and hopefully the eagerly anticipated The Grandmasters can inject some freshness to Wong's repertoire.

2 comments:

  1. Uncool (1)

    We are in agreement about most of what you said above but I remember I enjoyed the movie all the same when I watched it long long time ago. Maybe that's partly because I also like Jude Law.

    I read the plot again on Wikipedia.org a minute ago. The subplot about the drunken policeman and his wife is also very enjoyable.

    I want to watch the movie again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hong Kong Actress, Yip Yuk Hing is also in New York, have you seen her in New York?

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....