Saturday, December 04, 2010

Library

Library is great.  It's green before green is a fad and a lifestyle.  Of all the places, library is probably one of the most technological advanced place that is free, accessible by all, disadvantaged or otherwise.  A few weeks ago I got to use one of its self check out machines.  Now there is no scanning in the old sense of the word.  You just need to take out your library card, punch in the PIN, stack the check-out material, may that be books, magazines or DVDs, on the station and the machine just knows.  I would have thought that the supermarket would have adopted this technology first.  Checking out material is great but returning is really a double-edged sword.  Sure you can just drop off the material at some magic book slot and keep your fingers crossed that the "system" or actually some staff would pick them up and scan and return them so your name would be cleared.  Alas, I got screwed way too many times--the system says the material is returned late or worse never returned, that is, lost (one time I find the book returned on the shelf and bring it it to the librarian).  And every time I have to talk to the manager and as if she is doing a big favor by "waving" whatever fees the system says I owe.  It really bothers me because I return the material on time and in order and I end up having to plead my case to have the fees "waived."  Even though every time that happens I am able to get the fee waived but it really kind of makes me look bad, standing there, as if I try to talk my way out of some penalty in the amount of cents and dollars, though the latest episode actually involves nine bucks.  Perhaps returns should just be scanned on the spot as well so it won't end up like my words against theirs.

1 comment:

  1. Public libraries here in Hong Kong have got self checkout machines since maybe five years ago. I notice not a lot of people like to use them, esp. those middle-aged and above. Kids are the ones most interested in using self checkout machines. About two months ago, public libraries in Hong Kong adopted a similar returns procedure as the one described above, i.e. dropping books into a slot to be handled by invisible people behind the slot. We haven't experienced any problem yet but the risks you described above are very real if the invisible library assistants are careless and absentminded.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....