Friday, July 09, 2010

Water Bottle


For the past few days, I have been carrying my own water bottle on my commute. Not too long ago, I thought water bottle was really a thing of the past and nobody in his right mind was carrying any. People were buying sodas or plastic bottled water. Sure I had carried them all the time but that was when I was a primary school kid when the school I went had no water fountain (and no flushing toilets either but that's another story ...) and I had no pocket money to speak of. Carrying a water bottle was part of the school attire just like a school bag or a pencil case, a necessity. Back then they were mostly plastic bottles with whatever hit cartoon characters on them and if you were a bit older and wanted to look macho or a manly man you would perhaps opt for one that was favored by the boy scouts or pseudo military type--a stainless steel bottle with green canvas waist or shoulder belt. I think some, the more genuine ones, even came with a separate canteen for boiling water or cooking. Now as plastic bottled water is falling out of favor or even becoming a symbol of silly consumerism, I can see there is a big comeback for reusable water bottles, especially the stainless steel ones.  If it doesn't inconvenient me too much, I definitely prefer to bring my own water bottle, I spend less, recycle less and consume sugar less.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....