Monday, July 26, 2010

Chinese Waiters Surly by Default

It irks me to no end when I visit Chinese restaurants.  For the most part, the food are fine but the service just leaves something to be desired.  I don't need servitude but a modicum amount of hospitality like Thank You is what I am after.  When I go to Chili's, Applebee's, IHOP, Outback, the wait staff invariably say Thank You when they leave and collect the check.  And when you leave the place for the evening, they will say Good Night.  In all Chinese places I go, big or small, the wait staff don't say nothing.  They put the check down, without saying nothing, when you leave, they don't say nothing.  Even my tip is still at 15% or more regardless.  Chinese hospitality in Asia might be better but Chinese hospitality (to Chinese?) in NYC is definitely the worse.

4 comments:

  1. do you think you are C Ronaldo, he has a deal with a waitress in LA, cost him a lot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I remember one particularly bad establishment in NYC where the proprietress only served the one table with gweilos and ignored all other customers. I was amazed there WERE other Chinese customers! Never went back there again.

    But there were also a very friendly HKer-run establishment (the wait staff and Lao Ban spoke HK-accented Cantonese) that was located near Little Italy, that do won-ton noodles and such. Can't remember the name, but the service was fast and reliable - but then again, maybe because they only catered to HKers and so couldn't really discriminate against the only group of customers they had.

    Over here though, as a rule waiters in Chinese restaurants are very courteous. And generally they treat Chinese far better than they treat the Irish (free egg-tarts before you order anything if you got to know the waiters).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Years ago I went to 陸羽, the Maitre d there summarily ignored me while kissing up to the Japanese tourists. I was appalled by the scene unfolding in front of me.

    I got to check out Dublin one of these days. Brothers there seem to know what they are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:13 AM

    Little did he know that you guys were also tourists from America.

    Sid

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....