Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Kickys Restaurant Take Two

The last time I went to Kickys was November 2007. Back then it was an American French slash Japanese restaurant with a lot of promise. Shortly after the New Year, Kickys dropped the French beret and put on the Pan-Asian hat, offering mostly Japanese and Thai dishes, probably as a response to the general clientèle in the area.

So I decided to visit Kickys and see what restaurateur Po is up to. The first time I stepped in Kickys I was really wowed by the interior design, the glass housed dining table in the center of the dining area, the circular booths, the giant projection screen. After three months, I am still fascinated by its stylish decor, I mean you don't see those things too often, do you? I know I don't.

This time, our table ordered some traditional Thai and Japanese staples from the menu, like Pad Thai, Sushi, Shrimp Tempura, Chicken Teriyaki. And I ordered the Chicken with Thai Spicy Mango Sauce. I can tell the ingredients were fresh and the dishes were pretty well prepared. Of all the dishes, I like the Sushi and Chicken Teriyaki the best. The Sushi were fresh and tasteful and the chicken was grilled and had the unmistakable smoky flavor that I like. As to the Thai Spicy Mango Sauce dish, I like it all right, but I think the chef can use a bit more spice and more heat. For me, Thai means spice and heat, the more the merrier.

Kickys has been kicking some serious butt in the Aberdeen area ever since it debuted late last year. After some initial hiccup with the menu, I am happy to see that they are settling down with an all Asian menu. Kickys is still a diamond in the rough, like the staff seems a bit inexperienced or simply a bit short staffed. But what they lack in experience, they more than make up in their youthful enthusiasm and courtesy. I am still very much excited by the whole Kickys experience and will definitely go back to try out some of their other dishes.

Kickys First Review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....