Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Ubuntu 7.10 Available

Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon is available. I am upgrading mine online as I type. It's going to take some time. I expect some screw up here and there otherwise where is the challenge? Last night I tried to do my basement wi-fi connected box but no dice. It couldn't get past the preparing the upgrade line. I suspect I better hard wire that puppy to do the upgrade or burn a CD to do the upgrade, what do I know. As for the 7.04 with my wifi setup I have unblacklist and to pad the ESSID with an extra character. So that may go away with Gutsy Gibbon, where do they come up with names like this? The Upgrade really takes hours.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

http://technical-itch.co.uk/2007/10/19/ubuntu-710-upgrade-first-impressions/

UPDATES: It went through without any problem. So there is no screw up to report about.

5 comments:

  1. Ubuntu 7.10 has got very good review in WIRED Magazine. Its major weakness remains to be the lack of support for games. But you're not a gamer after all.

    Yet people's habits are hard to change. Or they simply don't know there's great software available for free. For example, many people here prefer pirated MS Office to the equally-good but free for all OpenOffice.org suite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hardly play any game at all.

    Because Linux has yet to reach the tipping point. From the desktop point of view, I don't think there is any business software for it. Of all the biz software we have at work, I couldn't think of any that has a Linux port.

    Plenty of people have a hard time with Windows so forget about Linux.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:01 AM

    I am totally ignorant, even the MacBook can kill me
    wpHSIX30,000

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:22 PM

    Glad your upgrade went smoothly and thanks for linking to my article.

    I'm going to do a clean install soon to see if that irons out the issues I'm seeing with my Nvidia card not being detected by Ubuntu properly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dean,
    No, thank you for visitng. I am no good at Linux. I wish I know more. I try to share my experience with Ubuntu when I can. Good luck with your video card.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....