Monday, October 22, 2007

Notes to Self

GIMP doesn't do a good job in their File | Open department. But in fairness, the solution is just a search away. If you are a Linux guru it shouldn't be a problem (sadly I am not, so I have to search).

I have to via the interface do a Places | Connect to Server ...
pick Windows share under Service type
type in the ip address of the Windows PC
then able to see MYPICTURES as share (the folder is My Pictures)
your Windows Box will appear on the desktop. But GIMP can't access that.

After that then I can issue the below command, but only on the 2nd time that it wouldn't complain. Is it a bug, maybe, maybe not as I really don't have a solid grasp of what's happening.

1st time failed
mybox@mybox-desktop:~$ sudo smbmount //PC/MYPICTURES /mnt/winshare -o username=yourusername,password=yourpassword
Packet send failed to 169.254.255.255(137) ERRNO=Operation not permitted

2nd time succeeded
mybox@mybox-desktop:~$ sudo smbmount //PC/MYPICTURES /mnt/winshare -o username=yourusername,password=yourpassword
mybox@mybox-desktop:~$

Even you unmount the Windows PC on the desktop, your shared Windows folder will remain on the Linux (Ubuntu) file system, in my case /mnt/winshare where GIMP can access.

3 comments:

  1. You will have no luck if anything need to be connected to windoze.

    ps. I am thinking of setting up an independent photoblog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How's everything man? I checked out your photos every now and then.

    Go right ahead setup your photoblog. Or you mean running your own photoblog or just use something out there?

    I have had some hands on with the D3, I am loving it. But then I love a lot of stuff too.... It's always the eye behind the camera that counts more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all love those shinny toys, don't we? It's just the reality that is pulling us back.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....