Monday, April 30, 2007

Reading Dav Pilkey

Because my boys like Captain Underpants so I end up reading them as well. The series is all about underpants, booger, poop, fart and toilet, mostly things kids love but adults consider taboo.

I think in one of the series, Dav Pilkey, creator of the series, I hope I remember it correctly, says something to the extent that in the first two years of children's life, their parents desperately want to talk about poop, pee, walk and talk. And then ironically after the children mastered those skills, the parents would spend the rest of the children's childhood years trying to make them stop talking about poop, pee and want them to shut up and stay still. No wonder some children are confused.

Captain Underpants is a series about poop, toilet and booger. I can see why kids or mostly boys love it.

3 comments:

  1. Wolfgang loves Captain Underpants so much that he'd spend lots of time reading them as a fixture in the bookstores. My wife and I did try to discourage him from reading it without much success. We've never bought even one book in the series for him over all these years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do you discourage him? The only thing I don't like about the series is very often it spells the way kids spell, that's the wrong way. Other than that I have no problem with the content.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of the time grown-ups are a bunch of hypocrites. I discouraged Wolfgang 'cos I think there's too much poo and pee in those pages, as there's too much gore in Tarantino's movies. I like these subjects myself, though. But as a responsible parent, to which I certainly don't measure up, these subjects ought to be discouraged for the time being until they've grown up.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....