Saturday, July 08, 2006

Three Times

This is a very seriously boring movie. If you only like Hollywood big budget production, this is definitely not for you.

The Chinese name is more like The Best of Time. I don't know if I have my best of time yet, I'd like to think it's still ahead of me. If not, I am just living garbage time, which I refuse to believe.

The story, Love Dream, set in 1966 seems to be the best, Youth Dream in 2005 is arguably the worse. The one in the middle, Freedom Dream is basically a silence movie that happens in 1911. These three stories set in three different times make up the entire movie. Hou Hsiao-hsien's movies are essentially silence movies anyway. It's about words not spoken, images, music, Taiwanese people and Taiwanese dialects.

Chang Chen is such a looker. He is definitely one of the most promising young Chinese actors. I have never seen Shu Qi's works before, but I think she does pretty good in the Love Dream story.

Do I understand or enjoy it? No and No. But I just have to see it because it's there, out there.

Children: only for budding art house kids who dig sub titles. It has some adult situation, but nothing they haven't seen before on TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....