Thursday, May 18, 2006

iBook Surgery

I performed my first iBook openheart surgery, and the result is so far so good.

My iBook sufferred from the "90 degrees and black out" syndrome which is pretty well discussed in Apple's own user's forum. On top of that, my original power adaptor isn't passing the power, and my battery isn't holding up a good charge (I had to borrow someone's from work just to charge the battery).

So, I ordered from Small Dog, the reed switch assembly ($20) and a third party power adaptor ($29). $7 USP 3 days select shipping. I didn't order any extra battery.

I read the following links and got the job done. Here, here
and here. The last link is about harddrive replacement but I like the way the guy taped the screws on a cheat sheet. I did similar but still got 3 screws unaccounted for, OKAY, I know I dropped one for the top shield.

After the surgery, the iBook is 3 screws lighter. It's embarrassing. Other than the screws, one major hiccup was I forgot to plug back the keyboard cable before I replaced the RAM shield and worse, I thought I had to take off the bottom cover and the front cover to plug it back in, when indeed removing the RAM shield is all it needs to plug the keyboard cable to the board ... It's been a long operation.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:33 PM

    Does your iBook survive the open-heart surgery? Or was it KIA? Good luck, man.

    Sid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, i miss the most important part of the post. The iBook survived the open heart surgery. When I booted it up, every worked what I expected.
    So no killed in mission.

    But here is the sad news. I did a hard reset because firefox was stalling last evening. When I boot up, the screen got gobbled up. So I guess it's fucked up one way or the other. I am very disappointed now.

    There is this Apple store opening at 6PM today on Fifth Avenue. And it's giving out a MacBook every hour for 24 hours ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:29 AM

    Fix the screen, and do it fast. A computer without a screen is useless.

    I'm proud of you, man. You actually fixed an iBook. You are no tinkerer.

    Sid

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....