Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Grandmaster(s?)

In street fighting there is no right or wrong, only the last man standing.

I don't like the spacing between THE and GRANDMASTERS.
The tag line is galling.  Why call it martial arts?  Just call it Kung Fu.  To me, Kung Fu is more than a sport, it's a way of living, it sure cares about right or wrong and definitely means more than "the last man standing."  So I think the tag line is just bullshit.
The last question, why plural?  So the story is about more than one grandmaster?  Two, three, four or five?  I thought Leung is the Man, that is Yip Man, the grandmaster, the master of all masters.  Now it's more like "Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Ziyi Zhang are ... The Grandmasters"--I think I can hear The Voice saying that in the trailer.

UPDATE 11/1/2010
imdb has it The Grand Master or the (WTF) literal translation First Generation Master.  I don't know how it becomes more than one master judging from the above poster assuming the poster is legi.  I am scratching my head now.

3 comments:

  1. 立法會周三辯論釋放劉曉波

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:45 PM

    Well, uh, why do you want them to call it Kung Fu if you don't like how Kung Fu would then be portrayed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like the tag line. Kung Fu or martial arts, it just doesn't sound right. Even if we were to substitute sports in it, it doesn't sound right. Now regarding Kung Fu being preferable, Kung Fu is more specific to the kind of fightings depicted in the movie, presumably as the story is about a Chinese grandmaster or grandmasters. Martial arts is a bit general and a bit vague while Kung Fu just the name of it adds more Chinese elements to the line which I think is appropriate, though as a whole it fails or it doesn't matter any more because overall the tag line sucks so bad.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....