Thursday, November 11, 2010

B&H

You'd think B&H knows what they are talking about when it comes to photography.  Wrong.  If you are confused with Nikon's alphabet soup of lens specification and thinks B&H can help you navigate the treacherous lenscape that's Nikon's lens lineup, you are out of luck here.  Because B&H is just as confused as you. Or apparently their huge Winter 2011 catalog is just like my blog, without any competent proofreading whatsoever.

Here is a scan from p.176

A trip to NikonUSA doesn't help either, if they have that piece of information anywhere I don't see it or at the very least their lame-o search says hey I don't know what you are talking about.  But just don't expect NikonUSA knows what they are talking about either, because they don't, just like me.  I just gave Google a chance after my previous failed search on NikonUSA, and Google was able to return the search I was looking for right from NikonUSA.  It says, on NikonUSA, and I quote,

 "G-type NIKKOR lenses have no aperture control ring and are intended for use on Nikon D-SLRs that allow the lens aperture to be adjusted via the camera's command dial." So you see, I wasn't making it up--NikonUSA really doesn't know what they are talking about.  G has really nothing to do with whether the camera is D-SLR or just plain old film SLR. In Rockwell's parlance, it just means gelded and he is right.  A G lens is a gelded lens that lacks  a physical aperture ring, period.  So my assessment of NikonUSA is again right on, they don't know what they are talking about.  And while we are at it, look at the DX explanation, do they really expect people to understand what they are trying to say?  Without clicking on the hyperlink?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:12 PM

    I'm still waiting for my catalog. That thing is perfect bathroom reading.

    -Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even I can't afford any of them, but it's fun to flip through it. Just to know how ridiculous a barrel of glass can cost.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....