Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Superman Returns

So I am going to check out Superman Returns tonight, one day ahead of the June 28 release date. Thanks Mei.

This summer we have 2 leading men in tights, Superman in Superman Returns and Nacho in Nacho Libre, which stars Jack Black as Nacho. I have a weakness for funny guys, except Adam Sandler whose brand of humor I don't get and hence fail to appreciate. Apparently, Adam Sandler's brand of humor really does wonder in the box office.

The Devil Wears Prada seems promising. Anne Hathaway and Meryl Streep on a story based on the same name novel allegedly or not so allegedly based on the author Lauren Weisberger working experience as an intern/assistant(?) for US Vogue editor Anna Wintour.

UPDATE:

Superman Returns

I enjoyed Superman Returns. What made the experience enjoyable was I got free ticket, finger foods, candy, beverages, and pop-corn.

The movie itself is not bad either.

To quote the director, it's really a "chick flick." If you look for some hand to hand combat or a fair amount of violence, you have to look elsewhere. What it is is about unrequited love, gasp, I can't believe I even say that. Some critics go on to say that Superman is gay, not that there is anything wrong with it, but I think that's really a stretch, and it says something more about the critics than the movie itself. Personally, I don't see any religious reference either. But then again, I didn't see Mel Gibson's "The Passion of Christ." or myself a religious expert.

I think director Bryant Singer did a very good job to tell a story. The special effect is good and not overbearing. Brandon Routh is plain good looking albeit mildly boring and hence I consider him good Superman material. The ending is a bit unsatisfactory but overall I think it's a good movie.

Also, both Jimmy from Daily Planet and Lex Luthor shoot Nikon. When Lex was in the musuem, he was carrying a Nikon D2 something, though I really didn't see him shooting with it. And Jimmy, Kent Clark's co worker was seen actually shooting with a Nikon D2 something. Probably D2Xs, D2X, D2Hs, or D2H. Sorry, in the world of Metropolis, people don't shoot Canon, though in the real world, the opposite seems to be true. And Lois Lane's choice of vehicle was an Audi SUV.

Discovery is going to launch in Florida this Saturday, Superman, are you ready? Hope NASA got it covered this time.

For who: People who love Superman or people who enjoy a good story.
Not for: People who only love senseless violence and hand to hand combat.
For children: Over eight years old or any children who have attention span of more than 2.5 hours, factor in the previews, make it 3 hours. Younger children may get upset when Superman got beat up or appeared to be fatally injured.
Adult situation: Is there any? None. Okay, maybe when Superman and Lois Lane tried to kiss.
Violence: Mild violence with no blood. A villian killed by a grand piano, off camera. Younger children may get upset with certain scenes when Superman got beat up and appeared to be fatally injured.

Disclosure: I am not a Superman fan. I am middle-aged. I grew up knowing Ultraman as superman, not knowing there is really a Superman until perhaps a bit later in my life.

Read what the real critic says here and here.

2 comments:

  1. why don't you wait for me ? I may be in New York in 2 weeks later

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't wait for anybody.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....