Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Google Spreadsheet

As reported, Google is going to beta it's Google Spreadsheet today at its http://labs.google.com. As of now, I still am not able to see the link there. Or I am not sure how it's rolled out to its potential beta users. Anyway, if I see it, great, if not, that's OKAY too.

I always have mixed feelings to Excel. I thought on the one hand it's great (for small business), on the other hand, it's the biggest evil in a corporate enterprise environment. I always believe you should have a central data reportory, or at least in theory, you should. If you have to resort to Excel to do any analysis, then your enterprise software is really lacking and what's worse, you have data untamed lying around everywhere in spreadsheets. Sometimes, I think Excel is the worse thing you can have in a corporate environment.

But accountants really love Excel.

UPDATE: I became of the those beta testers of Google Spreadsheets. It isn't Excel, but then I don't expect or want it to be like Excel. I tried right-click, and of course, it gives web page behavior as opposed to right-click mouse menu. And I couldn't find formula help. I did resort to go to Excel 2003 to get the help function on certain formula. I was able to use =PMT() and =IPMT() to calculate mortgage payments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....