Sunday, April 26, 2020

MacPro3,1 macOS 10.15.4

After fixing it for two days, I finally got a handle of the situation.
I updated the patch and installed 10.15.4 on my macpro3.1 But the sleep and wake up problem won't go away.  It was just bad, at some point the mac simply boots to recovery mode and I can't see to do anything about it.

Because I am running the PC GTX 770 so I can't trouble shoot using the keyboard combination keys as there is no EFI rom on the GPU.  I needed to switch back to the stock GPU which is pokey and barely runs.  Even with the stock card I got into same problem, it just boots to recovery.

So that was no good.

In the end, I unplugged all the optical drives, the SATA BR drive and the stock Superdrive.  And so far I manually reset twice and the Mac boots back to 10.15.4 as solid as before.

I long suspected the optical drives, as from day 1 there seems to be some problem with the power after plugging them in and the stock superdrive would disappear after an hour or so.  So I don't know if starting 10.15.2 that problem manifests to sleep and wake up problem.  After I updated to 10.15.4 the OS doesn't even want to boot up normally as if it's damaged but it is not as it boots and reboots normally.

With the library closed for more than a month, I see no immediate need to use the optical drives at this point.  Oh well.

Hopefully it stays solid ...

Without a solid EFI graphic card it's just a pain to trouble shoot.  Open the case, get the card out, put the stock card back in, testing, wait to reboot.  Just lots of BS.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....