Wednesday, January 08, 2020

Random thought on suit and tailoring . . .

Now that I am giving some thought on this topic, I actually had suits tailor made.  It was such a long time ago.  Of course that came with being part of the job in the old days.  If I were to spend thousands of dollars on a suit I'd opt for tailor made from beginning to end.  And yet, I saw on Youtube people are just happy to buy a suit from say Tom Ford or other designer brands, that's like a $6,000 dollars suit with free champagne included.  But then the suit is not even well fitted or tailor made for your body and you have to get it altered either in-house or let your own tailor fix it.  I mean come on now?  For me it doesn't make sense at all.  I mean even after the alteration the jacket still pulls in the front; doesn't drape well.  And then the dude opts to narrow the legs more.  I mean OK if you have the body and money by all means.  He sure has the money.

It's generally agreed that it's a faux pas to fasten the bottom button of a jacket.  It just ruins the drape and the movement of the jacket.  And yet, you see it quite often that some dude actually fastens all the buttons.  I mean I saw it in some avant-garde Japanese designer who has her model wear the jacket like so on the runway or for photoshoot.  So rules are made to be broken.  That being said I think it's a good reasoned rule.  I personally wouldn't button up the the bottom button it just looks restrained and constipated.

And then there are questions about the belt.  I mean if you have your shit tailor made do you actually need a belt?  Or you just want it for the look?  Any serious looking pants or suit are sans belt like tuxedo.  But then I don't have any money to have my pants or suits tailor made so some sort of belt is in order . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....