Saturday, January 11, 2020

2.5" SSD on MacPro3,1

I have been running a 250GB SSD inside a MacPro3,1 for more than a year.  It's not an elegant solution like as if I know what elegant is.  I chucked the card into the empty drive space where the 5 1/4" drives are.  I ran a couple of SATA cables and power adapters in there to provide power to the SSD.

So, there comes a time I want to put it where it belongs, sort of.  But since it's 2.5" as compared to the drive bay for 3.5" so some sort of adapter is in order.  I ordered a couple and I thought it was a slam dunk,  Unfortunately, that is not the case.  Oh well, I just waster some $20.  Maybe I'll try again one day.

My HGST 4TB died on me after just 6 months but miraculously, the warranty still works.  But I would believe it when I actually get a replacement or a fixed drive back in hopefully less than a few weeks time.

The LG BR drive works as in it reads BR all right.  To play BR disc you need the right SW.  It's complicated.  VLC lacks AACS as BR disc are protected from all kinds of whatever.  MakeMKV comes with all kinds of goodies to decrypt.  So perhaps vlc can use them AACS from MakeMKV.  That was indeed the case but unfortunately comes the latest version of vlc, the library of AACS need to be authorized and so the old way of symbolic linking the library no longer works.  So to play a BR disc directly from vlc seems somewhat impossible now, at least for me.  But some MakeMKV can rip whatever apart so the solution is obvious . . .

The picture quality is very nice at 1920x1080, and I am not even talking about ultra high def as in 3840x2160.  MY monitor only display 2560x1080 anyway.

I rewatch Wong Kar Wai's The Grandmaster.  I think it's the bomb in many if not all aspects of filmmaking.  It stands up for repeat viewing.

IT Chapter Two sucks balls.  So glad I didn't go to see it on big screen like I did with the first one.  The first one is pleasant, not great.  The second one is just like walking dead, run of the mill terror flick.  Very empty and soulless.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....