Saturday, January 18, 2020

Clear Duplicates

I haven't worked on a spreadsheet in a commercial setting for a long time.  Now people just call it data analytics or some variations thereof.  I just call it spreadsheet or quantitative analysis.  My understanding of the field is limited.  Back I had to deal with data and invariably the data were crap, and dealing with duplicates were inevitable and common.  I would just basically sort the data, then compare rows by doing a boolean if they return T then I just deleted one of them.  I was careful to keep the original order of the dataset all in all.  Now I just found out there is an add-on in Google Sheet to do just that Remove Duplicates.  Ha ha.  There is also I found out a fascination of graphics.  I think it's not exactly new but with new software like Tableau I think and that's just my opinion, probably biased and uninformed, the graphics just go a bit overboard and crazy.  When I did spreadsheet I never bothered with graphics for my purpose, I just did the numbers.  For one thing I didn't need to present anything to anybody who needed to see the big picture or trends.  It seems to me nowadays people are just obsessed with charts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....