Monday, January 06, 2020

MacPro 2008 Blu-ray

Got myself a LG Blu-ray player blah blah blah.

Chuck the thing inside the MacPro3,1.  Unfortunately the machine doesn't want to boot.  After some mildly painful troubleshooting, I think it's the power.  I ran a power splitter from one of the 2 4-pin power cable for the EIDE drive.  It is running OKAY as long as only one of the splitter is in use.  Once I plugged the other end to the Blu-ray SATA, the SSD won't boot.  I guess there is no power going there.  I vaguely remember reading somewhere a year or 2 ago something to that effect.  The traditional or old Blu-ray standard is only 1920x1080, but the newer one can go up to double that, i.e. 3840x2160 or called UHD.  Though my monitor only goes up to 2560x1080.

So I ordered a 4pin molex to 12 pin Sata cable.  Let's see if it works.

When I plug the splitter to both the SSD which is my boot and the BR drive, the BR seems to get the power OK as I was able to see the light and open the tray.

Before I proceeded to install the drive, I needed to remove the front plate from the drive which is a bit of a pain as people mentioned it but there was no clear shot as to exactly how it's to be done.  Well I am guilty of that as well.  All I can say is you need to be careful and do not force it.

Since I can't get the machine to boot if the drive is power plugged in so I can't really test it yet.  Judging from what I read, this model with the 1.02 firmware may just even read the UHD BR disc as well.

UPDATE 1/11/2020:
I am happy to report that, what I thought was right.  The 4-pin molex won't split power.  With separate adapter to the SATA to the SSD and the BR drive, both of them work now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....