Tuesday, August 30, 2011

hp Compaq 6910p

Whenever a model has a p I have a good laugh, I am just juvenile. I upgraded this notebook to Windows 7 Professional, er, strictly speaking, I didn't actually do the upgrade, some Jack did it some time ago, and I am happy to report that he fixed the falling off blue nipple thingy in the middle and the stuck key. So he is the man.

Not too long ago, that's a about a few weeks ago, I noticed the hard drive was overheat most of the time and the fan was spinning like crazy. Loud and crazy. Yesterday I was thinking to upgrade the BIOS. I did a search and was able to locate and download the BIOS. It was surprisingly easy and painless. That is there is no floppy disk, no USB drive, you just did everything within Windows. The instruction could be a little better. It made no mention to Windows 7 at all, though, I went ahead anyway thinking Windows 7 is pretty much just marketing as much as it's an upgrade compared to Vista. I know there is some difference at least the Cisco VPN works so much better in Windows 7 than in Vista. Anyway, the new BIOS seem to have calmed down the harddrive, I can actually put my wrist on the wrist rest where the harddrive is and the fan, though spinning is no where near the decibels it cranked out before. So that's surprising in a very good way.  Let's see how long it can stay this way. Plus after the Win 7 upgrade, the SD drive is totally able to read my humble 8 gb sd card, which it failed to read when on Vista, that led me to believe it was really a driver issue not a hardware issue. I thought the overheat would lead me to dumping it but I guess I will have to keep it for longer now that it's cool and quiet, i.e. relative to the hot and loud before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....