Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Nikon Random Thoughts

Can you have too many Nikon's?  The answer is like asking can you be too rich?  You simply can't.

Finally Nikonrumors got a credible leaked D7000 picture.  Alas, it's an ass shot, there is no frontal nudity.
Adding to the excitement is the new 35mm f/1.4, 200mm f/2 and a newish speedlight SB-700.  You think the new lenses may bring down the oldie but goodie manual nikkors they kind of replace?  I think it only happens in your dream.  The price would never ever go down.  So when buying Nikkors, go for the better or the best if money is not an issue.  You are like just paying a deposit and rent the lens for free, when you are done, you sell it back, if you are lucky you can even make a tidy little profit--some random guy paid $175 on eBay for a 28mm f/2 and tried to sell it for $300 after using it for a while, no that's not me.  Anyway, the value definitely holds unless you broke it or something.

The D7000 may turn out to be Nikon's best all around DX sensored DSLR.  It has everything and can do anything.  So I am really tempted to upgrade my D70 to the D7000.  With that I also need to upgrade my desktop PC.  So it has this money sucking chain reaction.

For the past week or so, I have been shooting with my manual Nikkor lineup, that's my 24mm f/2, 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4 and my 105mm f/2.5.  The focusing on my D70 got very difficult especially for action shots, i.e. my kids doing Kung Fu kind of stuff.  For D70, it's best to shoot with AF lenses because you can hardly see anything from the tiny viewfinder.  I have forgotten my AF cheapo Zoom Nikkors for some time.  And I think I should have used them a bit more as they certainly help big time in the focusing department if not in the image department.  For some reason, I just think it's cooler to use good old manual prime lens.  The D7000 may present better focusing for my manual Nikkor lineup but I don't believe it will meter, the full frame professional DSLR Nikon still has an edge on metering and on better viewfinder experience.

Let's see what happens tomorrow.

Note: Sorry dudes, if you are here for any interesting information about the impending release of D7000, there isn't any. You have to go to Nikonrumors.com where all the rumors are. Or just wait another day or so. The D7000 has the potential to be the perfect Nikon DX DSLR. Give me a FX sensor for a price tag of $2,000, I am sold like right away.

1 comment:

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....