Wednesday, September 24, 2008

What Was Microsoft Thinking

I don't watch a lot of TV but I do watch some. But I haven't seen the latest Microsoft TV spots. I just wonder how their $300 million ad campaign is doing. On the other hand, I do see plenty of brand advertising spots from financial institutions like Zurich, AXA Equitables to claim consumers' mindshare in the wake of this Wall Street meltdown.

Anyway, the Jerry Seinfeld and Bill Gates spots were pulled. Most ad pundits couldn't decipher what the ads were all about and hence gartnered mostly lukewarm or worse vitriolic reviews. Microsoft definitely needs a good narrative for its image. And in an attempt to define Microsoft and Windows, Microsoft plays the game that Apple plays so well in its second wave of TV spots. It plays the "I am a PC" narrative pioneered and defined by Apple. So far the counter punching by Microsoft is not succeeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....