Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Hasselblad 500 C/M Useless Information

What I found:-

You can't shoot with an empty (pre A12) back attached even both the back and the camera have white dots on their respective windows and the dark slide is removed. It's just the way it is. (I don't know about A12 back as I don't have any to test. Mine is a back that has a peep-hole in the back to check film advance when loading)

To test shoot for fun, you need to remove the film back all together. To remove the film back from the body, you need to have the dark slide inserted. And you cannot remove or attach the film back without the dark slide inserted into the film back.

If your experience is different from mine, please let me know.

UPDATE: 11/14/2009
I think I was pretty good in spreading half truth and rumors.  The above is totally false.  You can shoot with an empty back attached.  I just found out.  The way to do it is to treat it like the back has film inside by turning the knob counter clockwise so the number appears on the frame window.  Once the number goes past 12 you can turn the knob counter clockwise so the 1 appears again and you can continue shooting without any film inside.  And yesterday I found out this old back can actually shoot 220 film, woo hoo.

3 comments:

  1. except Camera and software, can you write something that's more excited, boring....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The biggest joke I heard on my trip is that a group of Hasselblad enthusiast go with a mentor on a photographic tour. What the mentor did is set up everything and the apprentice just queue in line with their film back to get the shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a bit of mixed feeling to 'blad's modular design. The film back needs to be maintained and sometimes you do have light leaking problem. It's not a huge deal if you change the foam like every year. But I am not the kind of person who like to do maintenance by myself or by others. At the same time, if it's good enough for NASA to bring it to the moon then it's probably good enough for me.

    My film back is from 1968. And it works pretty well for me. Smooth.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....