Sunday, December 02, 2007

Oh My God, Holy Cow

It's snowing.

UPDATE:

More pictures from my backyard.

Yesterday we went to Barnes & Nobles. Harry got his Pikey books and were happy, Alex got yet another Pokemon book, he was happy too. Jin was busy with her PTA fund raising stuff. I read some magazine and some book. I was tempted to buy the Life of Pi ($14) because literatus extraordinaire mentioned that before but I figure chances are I won't be able to finish it so I put it back to its shelf in the end. I hate to buy books just to decorate my bookshelf. I might as well leave it in the bookstore. If I really want to read it, maybe then I can borrow that from the library. I still have one book to finish, which is taking forever. I should have read it when I was between 17 and 27. Anyway that's another story.

I seldom buy any coffee from Starbucks except when I am at B&N, you know when I am surrounded by books and all that, I need some good coffee to just to stay awake. So I ordered an over priced regular coffee. And since I am not familiar with the lingo and English is my second language, the cashier had to show me the cup size, and I resorted to pointing, No, smaller, no, still smaller, smaller; yes, that's the right cup size. I told him I am very happy with that small cup size and anything bigger I can't handle. I am such a cunning linguist sometimes. I asked him what's the official name for that size, he says it's called a Tall. That deserves a WTF right there. You have to be a dwarf to call that a tall. If you show that to any guy who works at McDonald's, he will definitely laughs his rear end off. So my small Tall coffee cost me 1.75 plus .15 tax for a grand total of $1.90. I added some milk, cinnamon and nutmeg. It did taste pretty good. I had some difficulty falling to sleep that night, I don't know if it's because of the gourmet caffeine or because of the $1.90, any astute reader of this blog knows that I am a cheapskate and that $1.90 means a lot to me.

Here are some more pictures I took at my backyard. Okay, my pants are on fire now, only one was taken in my backyard. The rest were like taken in or around Kissena Park which is actually like my backyard.











SELF PITY WHINING
D3 is shipping together with some new nano coated lenses. I am still shooting with my puny D70 with a meager 6MP and some old lenses which I insist are good enough. You know, good enough is never really good.

7 comments:

  1. Let it snow. Let it snow. Let it snow. ...

    The cup-size lingo is probably French. So one has to think in French dimension instead of in US size-me-up McDonald's terms.

    Venti, I read somewhere, is Italian, though, meaning 20 ounces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful pics, luckily I live in a warm city, even the dry weather in these days in HK made my skin itching and have to see doctor to ask for special ointment, that's very common for old men, I am one of those old men need to take drugs for itching skin, fxxk up

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:18 PM

    the hell with Starbucks. the only reason they're popular is b/c ppl are all sheep. overprice battery acid + retarded lingo makes me one disgruntled consumer. i think the best bet for coffee is still the asian bakeries. cheap and potent.

    eric

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know where those tiny Asian shops got their coffee from, they tend to have a very distinct flavor. And the tea too. If you buy a coffee at Starbucks and sit there for hours then maybe somehow the price is justified... But I really can't in good conscience be their regular customer. Plus coffee at work is free, though they don't taste that well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:47 AM

    http://tinyurl.com/3y43vn

    i notice you don't have the wii remote jackets. with the kids' energetic playing, they might come in handy!

    eric

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like living dangerously. If they break their head that's fine. If they break the 720P TV, then that's another matter....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay I was just going to browse a few of your old blog posts as I haven't been doing any leisure surfing for quite a while, and now this blog post has tempted me to comment and show my face! Anyway, thanks very much for your kind epithet, though literatus extraordinaire is too big a title even for big-headed me! And I agree with you about the exorbitant coffee prices and the weird Starbucks lingo, but we still get our coffee there in the office because (a) we have no decent pantry/kitchen in our office as ours is a hundred-year-old listed building where the chandeliers were from the 18th century and still in use, and (b) the cheap and cheerful coffee dock in the arts centre next doors closed up around the time the Starbucks phenomenon arrived... so we're stuck getting overpriced coffee and it sucks (especially when they charge around 3.95 euros for a grande - the cup size of my usual tipple - which equates to almost 6 dollars in American money). But the way I see it, Starbucks coffee is the same as taxi fares - overpriced "luxuries" which to me are often times necessities... Anyway, enough rambling for a comment!

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....