Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Why China isn't biting Apple

I got my news from Yahoo and here is an opinion piece called Why Apple isn't biting China attributed to Steven Schwankert, IDG News Service - IDG News Service.

The author did a good job by pointing out the obvious, lack of pirated software, lack of service and high price. As long as a cheapo PC can get the job done, and oh yes with tons of virually free software (read pirated software) available, why bother getting a Mac at a premium?

If Apple can sell its wares like Louis Vuitton does, a lifestyle, then maybe people would buy it. And I think Chinese in China still not quite get the idea of computing as some sort of lifestyle. If they don't get it, they won't buy it.

The piece may as well be called Why China isn't biting Apple.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:04 AM

    Microsoft rule the world. If you don't like it turn to Linux and its free and free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think some EU countries are adopting Linux as the official OS. I think Germany or part of its government is rolling out Linux.

    In the corp desktop environment, MS really rules the world. Actually the whole Excel Office thing too. Backend, maybe not so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems the Chinese government is doing the same thing, for strategic or national security reasons.

    Sometimes, it's hard for me to comprehend why tech-savvy people or institutions don't switch to Linux. It's said to be much more economical and reliable.

    For not so tech-savvy folks like me, I tried but had real difficulties understanding the system, let alone mastering it. And the X-window platform and the word processor didn't seem to be stable at all. Lat time I tried, the Star Office package ran better on a MS Windows platform.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a free "NEXT OFFICE" CD-R for my notebook, it claimed that it's compatible with MS Office, but I still use MS Office at home since it's free. Our school has pay the license fee to MS to "allow" thier staff to use the MS software at home.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....