Thursday, February 09, 2006

I like to have consistent error

I got the base Debian installed. But I have problem getting a consistent bootup.
GRUB was OK.
I changed the BIOS, disabled APCI or some crap under advanced setting. Saved and Exit, the first time it reboot to Debian OK, but then it can't boot back to Win2000 unless I changed to enable the APCI. Okay, I thought disabling the APCI would work consistently as far as booting to Debian. But no, on subsequent boot, it just hung there while booting the kernel.
And sometimes disabling the APCI works, most of time it doesn't. I even disabled the plug n play from the BIOS.
I don't like inconsistent error.
That's when I tried to flash the BIOS. My motherboard's BIOS was from American Megatrend but the BIOS have to come from the board manufacturer. So I got to the manufacturer downloaded the stuff. The winflash utility simply doesn't work, so I have to resort to DOS, but then I found out my floppy drive doesn't work, I jiggled the power and the 'rainbow' cable then I smelled something from the floppy drive, I guess it's toast. OKAY, then I took the floppy drive from my IBM Aptiva. and dumped it into my Win2000 machine. The transplant actually works but then Win2000 can't make a DOS bootdisk in order to flash the ROM, so I am stuck again.
At work, I was able to install slackware OKAY.
My take of the situation in the basement:-
Possible problems:
The number 1, got to be the one between the keyboard and the chair. OKAY that got out of the way.
The BIOS may be no good
The CD media is not very good
The CD-ROM drive may not be very good (but I got it changed to some relatively newer one)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:16 PM

    Man, I'm proud of you. You are one persistent guy. That's the way you get to learn something from your mistakes. If you give up quickly, you're not gonna learn much.

    Sid

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....