Tuesday, August 16, 2005

HDTV, Toshiba 46HM95

Finally. It's here. Toshiba 46HM95, the yeti of a TV, it's existence can't even be confirmed on Toshiba's Website as of August 16, 2005. Essentially, Toshiba doesn't have its latest on sale production model on their website. I emailed the good folks at Toshiba for information, and I got some conflicting data: the Customer Service Support folks insist it's using TI HD4 chip as it's one of their 2005 models. However, any of their web authorized dealers who bother to put up the spec says it's TI HD2+ Chip (just like last year's HM94 models). And their press release, kind of says the same thing, only their 2005 1080p models use HD4 chip and the 46HM95 isn't a 1080p model.
This is my first HDTV set, so any comments herein are just like very personal.
I feed the HDTV from TWC's SA8300HD VCR via component input. I thought they only have DVI so I bought a DVI to HDMI. Again their TWC's website kind of lacks the information I want. I always fail to appreciate any website with fancy graphics, I mean they don't mean anything at all to me, all the fancy flash, context drop-down menu, if I can't find the spec I want, the hard facts I am looking for. The SA8300HD set actually has HDMI output...so I could have bought a $6 HDMI cable instead of the DVI to HDMI cable....but the component feed looks pretty good to me already.
In summary, the set lives up to my expectation. HD stations are great, indeed beyond great. SD feeds varies from station to station, overall, definitely no worse than my old SD set. The brightness, the contrast, the color are all good. I guess it now comes down to durability, long term usage experience.
I have some legacy A/V hardware, I just spent some time to set them up....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....