Saturday, May 14, 2011

Soul Crushing Tedium



The decidedly low tech low concept alt rock band that is uniquely Hong Kong My Little Airport presents a Cantonese song that is about the spirit stifling and soul crushing job working as a Telebet Services Assistant.  The lyrics are local but I have to say the state of being bored is largely a universal human condition shared by peoples across cultures from all walks of life, rich or poor.  I think I can relate or even appreciate people talking about life lived unfulfilled.  The song's cheerfully pessimistic and delusionary passive-aggressive subversive lyrics* really make MLA one of the few bands that are hip and "with-it."

*If I were to pick on something about the lyrics I would have to say, given it's sung by a female, the "dumb fuck(dick)" reference (at the 1 minute mark of the above music video) should be changed to "stupid cunt" or something to that effect.  Now it's kind of odd even I understand cursing can be really generic and mindless sometimes and can't be taken at face value or literally.  Anyhow, I suspect since the lyrics were written by a guy so it came out as "dumb fuck."

5 comments:

  1. Have you watched 蝗蟲天下? It's very typical of the paranoia exhibited by VL2010 over assimilation by the Mainland. The song even goes so far as classifying learning Mandarin as part of assimilation by China. It even sings to the praise of 港英的繁華光景 [WP2007's gonna like this previous phrase] 再沒有保證。Such short-sightedness and phobia is going to marginalise Hong Kong as an SAR and coastal financial hub of China. IMHO, the pride of many Hongkongers are seriously hurt now that mainlanders [they might be just 1% of the Chinese population as per VL2010] come to shop for designer brand fashion items and sweep up luxurious flats in West Kowloon as well as all over Hong Kong. BTW, have you noticed that Hongkongers have stopped calling our Communist brethren 阿燦? What a coincidence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, this is off topic, isn't it? Or am I missing something? I was talking MLA.

    Let's just say we should discriminate against all assholes regardless of race, religion and political affiliation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I was talking about non-mainstream little musical compositions by [insignificant] composers and bands who posted their 15-minute-of-fame pieces on YouTube and their equally insignificant voices and complaints. Apparently I was over stretching it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And seriously I think VL2007 loves China, he just doesn't like assholes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OKAY. I think this one, at least this one, is somewhat beyond politics. Though since it's in Hong Kong, it's kind of automatically politicized given the context that it's in, joblessness, underemployment, disenchanted youth. But I see it more about the universal state of being bored, being a wastoid going through the motions and living a life unfulfilled.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....