Thursday, February 10, 2011

The American and The Expendables

Every now and then George Clooney likes to remind us movie goers, in addition to making blockbuster crappy movies like his bread and butter the Ocean movies, he is amply capable of making pretentious artsy movies that are seemingly deep but are actually just interminably drab and weary.  The American is one of those.  The only saving grace is the movie has quite a few nude scenes, a stark contrast to your regular nude-less American movies, I think that's the only good European touch The American has to offer, which nevertheless could not possibly salvage the movie from its utter slow paced bore.  Since I am a fan of anal retentiveness, so I sort of enjoy Clooney's character Mr. Butterfly's (what a pretentious name) demonstrably encyclopedic knowledge of fire arms and hands-on experience--believe it or not, his character is able to fabricate a rifle silencer out of parts from a tiny chop shop in a god forsaken little Italian town.  Is he a genius or what?

The Expendables is the polar opposite of The American.  The Expendables is either a wet dream come true or a nightmare of a movie--aging action heroes join force to fight bad guys.  Maybe I have outgrown action movies, I find the story incredibly tired and the action scenes pretty forgettable.  Mickey Rourke probably has it the easiest.  He doesn't even need to fight, all he does is mumbling and he calls that acting.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:45 PM

    Very disappointed at "The American". It was filmed in Italy, just about the only good thing. Clooney is good at certain type of movies but this one was so bad.

    The Expendables, argh...you are brave.

    I have seen two good movies lately. Check them out, see what you think.

    1. The squid and the whale.
    2. The lives of others.

    exile

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:29 AM

    More...

    3. The killer inside me
    4. Tetro
    5. The stoning of Soraya M


    exile

    ReplyDelete
  3. exile !!!!
    You know what, sometimes I just write crap myself. The American isn't as bad as I make it to be but I just want to have a strong opinion.

    Of of the movies you mentioned I only heard about The Squid and The Whale. See if I got the time for them. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....