Sunday, September 27, 2009

My Misadventure of Simple Back Up

I knew it. I knew I am the kind of person who should never do any backup or anti-virus kind of protection. It's just not me.

I thought I got everything covered after I bought my external enclosure and a 500MB hard drive. I run the Simple Back Up program on schedule. And one day I found out my harddrive was full 100%. To make the long story short, Simple Back Up is just as smart as me, which is to say not very smart and rather erratic. The time I didn't turn on my external hard drive, Simple Back Up still wanted to backup, you know kind of over enthusiastic in its work ethic. Instead of backing up to my designated partition, it just went ahead and backed up to /media. On some nights I notice under the top command that gzip is running even though my external hard drive is off. But I never thought too much about it because I thought the program might be checking for content for incremental backup. Seriously, what do I know? At first glance it seemed the gvfs-fuse-daemon was at default. So I was tempted to just remove the /.gvfs. Good thing I did more Googling before I did something I would later regret even I have a serious death wish. In the end, I could safely confirm that Simple Back Up is dumping stuff to where it shouldn't be. It took me a while to figure out things got dumped to /media, yes, I was that slow. I proceeded to delete them and delete them again in the root trash folder.

In the end, it wasn't all bad. Just a few hours of frustrations.

So I am not backing up anymore, at least not automatically.

2 comments:

  1. For Linux, I think rsync rules.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I read after I did some digging around. I will see what I can do.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....