Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Sperry Top-sider

Joining Doc Martens, Top-sider is enjoying some press and come back recently. Band of Outsiders is updating this classic and selling them at where else, Barneys for $190~300 a pair, and they don't even come with the leather laces. The original is selling for $64.95 a pair at Sperry's site and they do come with laces. My pair of top siders never got to walk on a boat deck, its purpose of existence was never fulfilled.

From men's style. From Gawker.

UPDATE: One of the most searched posts here. If you were to ask me what to buy, I think any sane person would opt for the orginal top siders which are like the original and they come with laces.

5 comments:

  1. Is "top-siders" a specific NY term/brand? When I see the picture I think immediately of hush puppies loafers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you got me.

    I always think top-siders refer to boat shoes and those made by Sperry are the original ones. I think Top-Siders are trademarks belonging to Sperry but then it becomes generic when it becomes popular, like zerox, google.

    For me Hush Puppies are suede loafers. I can't relate the two together....but I am not going to stop you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right, I have never come across that term over this side of the Atlantic, ever, even though we have the same kind of shoes which are generically called loafers (which are automatically deemed to be made of leather rather than suede...).

    Anyway, to-mat-to to-may-to...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe I should have said suede slip ons or pull ups? let me check it out on hush puppies web site....

    yes, they say slip-on. "suede loafers" wrong choice of words. my fault. I am embarrassed at my English as Second Language. What can I say? Yes penny loafers from Bass Weejun are kind of college appropriate and very preppy Republican looking....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erm, no need to be embarrassed? After all, we cannot expect mere Americans to have a proper command of Queen's English ;)

    Really it has nothing to do with English as a second language but more American vs UK English. At least I know now what these should be called the next time I'm in the States so that no-one would look at me funny.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....