Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Rocky Balboa

Guys, if you are old enough you know who Rocky (1976) was, yours truly small time blogger certainly does. This winter, Stallone is bringing back the dead, resurrected Rocky for the 6th time. The 60 years old Oscar winner Sylvester Stallone is going to reprise his role as Rocky Balbo in you guessed it, Rocky Balbo (2006) Christmas this year. People always like the story of an underdog. I don't believe I ever watched the first Rocky on big screen, I was too young back then. I did remember the one Rocky fought the Russian guy. I saw it in Hong Kong with my post secondary friends, in a theatre in Mei Fu or Ocean Terminal. My memory is hazy, you know the side effect of getting old.

As if Rocky 6 or Rocky Balbo is not enough for nostalgic baby boomers then we will have Rambo in 2008. Stallone is bringing back Rambo in Rambo IV: In the Serpent's Eye. Just like Coca Cola, Stallone realizes change is not necessarily good, you do what you good at and stick with the original formula of success. You can tweak it a little like adding Diet Coke to the mix but don't overdo it. Or Stallone thinks there are still room for Rocky and Rambo besides characters like 007, Jason Bourne and Scientologist Ethan Hunt.

Rocky Balboa, I think is a true underdog story both on screen and off screen. I hope Stallone pulls it off just to show that elderly people can still be relevant.

2 comments:

  1. You made a mistake, we watched tne "Rocky II : Rocky Vs Apollo", in Mei Fu in Summer 1983, the Russian guy is in Rocky IV

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted this comment in another paragraph since I am afraid the Blogger may delete my posting in order to protect his "privacy" that every readers of the Blog should know. Russian guys should be in 1985 or later when Professor Black watched Rocky IV in Ocean Terminal with a pretty young girl, not us. Guy if you can read this psoting, you are lucky enough before Black deleted it

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....