Thursday, April 19, 2012

Grand Central


Nikon just announced its latest 28mm with maximum aperture at f/1.8, nano coating, SWM and whatnot.  I like my 28mm f/2 manual focus lens all right and I have no plan to acquire the latest and greatest.

Update:
Comments:  My pictures are exceedingly and astoundingly boring, as usual.  My take on the manual 28mm f/2 lens is that, chromatic aberration, ghosting are well under control.  The lens produces sharp, colorful and contrasty images.  Unfortunately its 28mm focal length which is not exactly wide to begin with becomes even more normal, or 42mm, when mounted on my D7000 or any Nikon DX cameras.  Having said that, there is actually nothing wrong with the 42mm focal length except it's not really behaving like a 28mm on a DX camera.

Update update 4/24/2012:
Regarding CA, I think if you shoot JPEG, like I do most of the time, the camera actually corrects that in-camera.  So I don't know how much is the lens and how much is the camera that I should credit for the lack of CA.  In any case, I still think the 28mm f/2 is a superb performer.

Update update update 4.24.2012
I checked the 28mm taken with the oldie D70.  The images have no CA or at the very least well under control.

3 comments:

  1. not boring, your pics of Grand Central bring me many good memory when I visited you in 2004 & 2006

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got excellent memory. I have no idea what years you came.

    ReplyDelete
  3. do you remember you still owe me USD500?

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....