Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Still Yet Another Unsolved Mystery at Foxconn

Another day, another suicide at Foxconn.  Nobody knows what's happening inside the factory and those in the know aren't talking--I know this construct is getting long in the tooth.  Well at least somebody was going deep undercover to do some investigative reporting.  Together with the kiddie killing sprees, these Foxconn suicides got to be one of the most mind numbing things happening in China.  Amid all the spectacular growths, there is something disturbingly and depressingly wrong.

PERSONAL UPDATE:
I remember how depressing it was (not exactly, looking back it was almost fun ... the young and cute immigrant girls) when I worked in a factory back in the days when I was at high school.  But luckily when summer was over so was my dead end job there.  It was a small sweatshop making small electrical appliances like battery powered radio in the shape of a cheese burger with questionable or no reliability to speak of for export to the US.  I think I sometimes over tightened the screw so much so that the cover cracked or I just soaked the circuit board for too long, or I cut the legs of those electrical components like resisters and god-know-what too close I even cut the circuit board on purpose.  In short, I just felt like to sabotage the operation whenever I could in my own pathetic ways.  The older foreman in charge of us sucked and that was half expected.  Most members of the crew were like me, teenagers, young men and women but unlike me they were toiling there sort of permanently while I knew I was there just for the summer despite what I told them I was there for forever.  At the end of the summer when I left that god forsaken place for good, I rather cowardly removed the company directory at the lobby when nobody was around and threw it away in the garbage.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:39 AM

    呢个系一个好好个人生经验。

    白粉强

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer to sit in a limo, sipping champagne but that never happened.

    I spent a good numbers of my youthful summers toiling away in the factory or making silk flowers and GI Joe in my "spare time" while growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:37 PM

    My friend, that would have been underage drinking!

    McMurphy

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....