Saturday, July 28, 2007

Music Consumption






All album jpegs in this post are from yesasia.com.

For all the six albums I bought, I only knew one or two songs (okay, it's three, all from Our Love Songs, namely CD1's track 2, 3, and 8) before I bought them. I bought them because I have blind faith on Mandarin songs from Taiwan and also I figured it's time to listen to some new songs instead of my ten or fifteen years old songs from way back. Or I was being adventurous. I didn't even know Summer Lei is a female singer until I played the CD. I probably won't buy another CD in three or four years.

Music and books are very personal. I mostly keep it to myself, or truth be told, I rarely listen to any music or read any book. Often times, beauty is really in the eye of the beholder. Sales and charts tell you a story but whether you personally like it or not, it's still no guaranteed. As to Cantonese songs, I could hardly listen to any new ones.

The album I listened the most, so far is the CD1 from Our Love Songs (2CD), the title is corny but I like it, top jpeg from above.
My favorite tracks are:-
3, Heard love have stopped by. I don't know the singer but I think she does the song pride and interprets it at least on par with the version by Lam Yik Lin.
5, Stranger. Tanya Chua.
8, Rewind. Jay Chou's song. Choi doesn't make it her own but it's a good song to begin with, you have to be pretty bad to mess it up.
10, Leave me. Nice melody and nice rendition. I only know her as a variety show host, doesn't know she can say. And sing she can.
All the songs are pretty nice.

Then there is DESERTS MY LIFE WILL ... (fifth jpeg from the top). I think she is a singer song writer. Oh yes she is, I just read from the pamphlet "All songs and lyrics written by Deserts." The only question I have now is where did she get her English name? I want one too. Not long after I bought this album, I found out she has a new album just came out. Oh well. It's new to me anyway. So she is a Chinese singing some English songs, I don't hold it against her as I am a Chinese writing in English (make it bad English) myself. Talking about the pamphlet, the centerfold showcases a collage of Deserts' snapshots, some in color and some in tastefully Ilford black and white, presumably on stage performing, driving, in the studio, and smoking as well. Call me a conservative, I really question the smoking poses. There are kids buying her album and I just don't think it's all that appropriate.
The overall sound of the album is good. It's pop, it's folk and it's rock.

6 comments:

  1. which song that you prefer ? bought from me, good quality MP3 format, USD1 for 1, Pay my PayPal, save your money for the expensive CD
    wp2007

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't listen to a lot of music very often. I don't have a super computer to store my MP3 or rip them. I don't really use a MP3 player. The time I listen to music is at home by myself which is very very rare now.
    I am quite happy with my CD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:36 AM

    normally your mobile should have MP3 function, try to read the instruction manual
    wp2007

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes. I used my mobile to listen to music once in a while. I have about five songs there. I don't sync my mobile with my PC at all. If I can conveniently do so I might do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:04 AM

    learn to use your mobile, it should have many function though I seldom used too, calculator, camera, recorder, video recorder, alarm clock, MP3 & MP4 player, GPS, portable TV, online News and Stock Price indicator, probably FM radio and SMS to those secret person
    wp2007

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, Mr Technology wp2007, I will learn how to use my mobile. Like take a college level 3-credit course to learn how to use a mobile phone.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....