Tuesday, October 11, 2005

It's 5:49PM...

where is my ride?
My daily flying carpet runs either local or express. Problem is you never know which is which.
When the train pulls up the 5th Ave station, the conductor either says nothing or says something totally irrelevant to the everyday riders, something to the extent of "5th Ave, transfer is available for number 4, 5, 6, E and F train" and goes on and on, and finally just when the car doors are almost completely closed, he might add, if you are lucky, Flushing bound number 7 express train...I wonder why the conductor would say anything about the transfer, is it for the tourists? For tourists who are prepared, they probably don't need this announcement, and for those who aren't prepared, the announcement wouldn't help a bit. Getting lost in the New York subway system is part of being a tourist in the Big Apple.
For the everyday 7 riders like me, all I want to hear from the conductor is Express Express or Local Local, if it's too little, then Number 7 Express or Number 7 Local, Is it too little to ask?

2 comments:

  1. I still keep the NY subway ticket as a bookmark, my 6 days subway experience is NY is not so terrible. I seldom or never get lost and I can visit Little Poland and some other major attractions without get lost. While I have get lost in London & Paris subway, they called it Tube and Metro. The subway journey in NY was pleasent, no free fighting show, but some entertainment of beggers or street artists. I even chatted with the Japanese and Korean girls in the compartment and gave them my name card, as expected, none of them give me any e-mail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never talked to strangers on my train ride. I enjoy my invisible space, I don't do small talk and I am not interested to get to know anybody around me. That's just the way I like it. I don't even acknowledge some people I wait bus together every morning except a nod a smile... It saves me the awkward hypocrisy, the drama of making small talks. I much rather get on the bus, get on the subway, and get the hell out of my rides and get to work.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....